Alabama has 23 recruits committed for the 2013 class as of right now, 6 pm the night before signing day.
As with every year, there are a couple dozen big time recruits that schools are waiting to hear a commitment from. Some of the past huge stars to announce for Alabama on signing day have been Julio Jones, Mark Ingram, Dre Kirkpatrick, Kenny Bell, Marcell Dareus, and Eddie Lacy. Also, Marquis Maze and Josh Chapman were signing day commits.
So you can see this is a big day for Bama fans every year. At least since Saban arrived. The previous decade before that, we weren't really ever involved on this day.
Last year, Cyrus Kouandjio was the No. 1 offensive lineman in the country when he announced on NSD that he would be going to Auburn. Luckily for us, he needed a few more days to think about it before ultimately switching to the place he really belonged, with his brother Arie in Tuscaloosa.
Reuben Foster, the No. 1 linebacker in America, got it started a night early by announcing on TV last night that he would be going to Alabama, even after being committed to Auburn for a long time, AND even though he has a huge AU tattoo on his arm. LOL, y'all.
I will lay out for you here all of the big guys that we are looking to hear from tomorrow.
- At 8:35, the No. 1 offensive lineman Laremy Tunsil will be making his announcement. I don't expect to get him. My prediction is Ole Miss, but you never know with this guy. He's been very hush hush about things.
- At 8:45, 5 star DT Montravius Adams will announce. Bama has an outside shot, but most people think it's gonna be between Clemson and Auburn. I predict Auburn.
- At 9:05, 5 star DB Vonn Bell will pick between Alabama, Tennessee, and Ohio St. Alot of people think he will go to Tennessee just because of the numbers crunch at Bama and the fact that Bama was late to the party with him.
- At 9:45, Antonio Conner will choose between Alabama and Ole Miss. He is a 4 star DB from the state of MS and it is a 50/50 shot between us and them for his services. I'll say we get him, but I'm not confident.
- At 11, Dee Liner will be announcing that he is coming to Alabama. He was a long time commitment for Auburn, but was long rumored to be really wanting to go to Bama. He finally decommitted from Auburn in December and it's a very poorly kept secret that he is gonna choose Bama. His name is also the position he plays. How cool is that?
- At 2:35, 4 star RB Alvin Kamara will make his choice. He is from Georgia, but is long rumored to be going to Bama. His coming also caused rumors that Altee Tenpenny, another 4 star RB who was already committed to Bama, might split for Arkansas. But it looks like we are going to rack up on runners this year, and get Alvin as well.
- At 3, A'Shawn Robinson, a 5 star DL that was long committed to Texas is expected to sign with Alabama. It wasn't known until this past week that he was even wavering from the Longhorns but word got out that he had informed the coaches there that he would be leaving the state and signing with Alabama.
- Eddie Vanderdoes, yet another 5 star prospect at DT, is the last big dog of the day that we will be waiting on, as he isn't announcing until 7 at night. He spent the past weekend in Tuscaloosa, where he live tweeted his visit and CLEARLY had the time of his life. This kid is so full of Bama, it excites me, but there is a problem: He lives in California and his family wants to keep him there. He was previously committed to USC but tomorrow it should come down to Alabama or UCLA. Will he go where his heart wants to go or will he make the easy choice to stay home? I think HE wants badly to come to Bama, but his family might keep him there. I'll go ahead and predict that we get him, but it's a toss up. Notre Dame is also heavy in the mix.
There are a couple other big guys that could swing out way tomorrow. Matthew Thomas, a 5 star DL from Miami, and Jarron Reed, a JUCO DT from Mississippi. While we could very well get those guys, I predict they will go elsewhere.
The sad thing is, that every year there are a handful of guys that want to come to Bama, but can't because of the numbers limits. To me, that's a shame. I think if numbers weren't even a hurdle, we'd get every one of these guys but maybe 1 or 2.
At the end of the day, I think there are 4 more players we can take. I think those guys are Liner, Kamara, and Robinson for SURE. And one of any of the others, but I'll say Vanderdoes.
Though, every year it seems we sign at least one guy that nobody even expected so I won't be surprised if that happens this year. Last year, on signing day, we flipped the commitments of Denzel Duvall, Korren Kirvin, and Dalvin Tomlinson. 3 guys that we weren't even thinking about. So Saban can still pull off some unexpected magic.
Either way, we will have the NO. 1 recruiting class in the whole damn country for the 4th time in the past 5 seasons. Which is something we had NEVER done even once before Saban.
So Roll Damn Tide, y'all. We ballin'!