About Me

My photo
My name is Eric. My love of and loyalty to the University of Alabama football team is unparalleled and completely inappropriate. I hate all other teams, and wish them peril. Also, you can hear my music at www.reverbnation.com/EricBlackerby or www.youtube.com/EricBlackerbyMusic

Friday, August 3, 2012

Fall Practice! Football Is Almost Back Y'all!!!!!!

It has been awhile since I have written in this blog. I've just been busy with alot of other stuff, getting my life together after becoming an obese alcoholic. I've lost 50 lbs since March and I have completely quit drinking. But that's another story for another blog

Onto why you're really reading this:

Alabama started fall practice this week and I am excited as hell to see how this team will respond, coming off another national title. Will it be too young to compete and complacent, like 2010, or has it learned it's lesson from that season? I vote for the latter.

All indications are that this team is using 2010 as motivation and focusing on what it takes to not let that happen again. We all saw what happened last year when the team adopted the Never Again mantra, as it pertained to losing to AU the way they did in 2010. So I think this team will be fine in that regard

Tonight I'm just gonna focus on the offense. Tomorrow, I will get into the defense, which I think will once again be among the top 3 in the country. That will never change under Nick Saban.

There are alot of new, young players that we are all excited to see. One of my early favorites is T.J. Yeldon. Most Bama fans agree with me that he has a bright future. He enrolled early and played in the spring game, while he should've still been in high school. Not only did he play well, but he was the damn MVP of that game and looked about as good as any Bama RB has looked lately. And that's saying ALOT

I think the future is in good hands with T.J.

Kenyan Drake is another young prospect at the same position that people are overlooking. I think he could be a great player for us in the future also. There is just so much talent at that position

Jalston Fowler is a bruising Jerome Bettis type and Dee Hart was a 5 star recruit that I saw look almost as good as Trent Richardson in the spring game last year, before tearing his ACL and missing out on a freshman campaign in which I believe he would've played alot

Barrett Jones said today that Eddie Lacy is going to be that marquee RB for us this year, but it's up in the air who will be number 2. Eddie has had injury problems his entire time so far at Bama, so hopefully he can fill that big role, but if not, there is plenty of confidence in 3 or 4 other guys who could step in and do the job nicely. Lacy is also my wife's favorite player on the team, and has been even when he played behind Trent. So I'm really hoping he is a Heisman candidate this year

Everyone knows that AJ McCarron will be our starting QB this year. He is the unquestioned leader of the team at this point and everyone knows what he is capable of. Jones also said that AJ's accuracy as improved alot this year over last year and that's saying something considering that AJ led the SEC in completion percentage last year and was top 20 in the nation. I don't know why people insist upon calling him a game manager and saying he's not a great QB, but I think this year he will be a standout in the conference, if not the country.

With the departure of Phillip Sims, who transferred to Virginia, depth behind AJ is a giant question coming into camp. Phillip Ely, who was a freshman last year, is a Greg McElroy type. But I would be really nervous if we had to trust it to him in a pinch, if AJ were to get hurt or something

Alec Morris, the incoming freshman this year got to practice for the first time tonight, and EVERYONE agrees that he made an outstanding impression. He is a big guy at 6'3" 225 and I believe he will pass Ely as the next in line. Just my opinion.

The offensive line is going to be the best in the country, I think by FAR, and there doesn't really need to be much discussion about this group. Barrett Jones was a freshman All American at G, then won the Outland Trophy at LT last year, and this year will be playing Center, which alot of people say is his best position. That's insane. Both tackles this year, Cyrus Kouandjio and DJ Fluker, are both around 6'6" 330+ giants, who were BOTH rated as the Number 1 OT in the entire country in their respective recruiting classes. I think all the talent around him puts him out of the spotlight, but Chance Warmack is one fo the best guards in the country. This could be one of the best units ever to wear Crimson, so no worries there

AJ said today that the WR corp is the best he has seen, collectively, since he has been in Tuscaloosa. Everyone keeps using the same old line about how there isn't a Julio Jones type in the lineup, but everyone is very good and above average. While that is a true statement to an extent, I believe true freshman Eddie Williams is a guy who could be a Julio Jones type. He's the same size as Julio was coming in and he made a good impression in practice tonight also. I love Kenny Bell, Kevin Norwood, and DeAndrew White, but alot of young guys have a chance to contribute to the position. Look out for Christion Jones and Amari Cooper also

I really love Michael Williams, the senior at TE. I think he is a proven leader at this point and will be counted on alot, with the departure of Brad Smelley. 

It was reported a few days ago that there was still one incoming freshman who had academic issues and was yet to be qualified. That appears to be OT Brandon Hill, who was the only freshman not accounted for tonight.

So far, the team has been split between the veterans and new guys in practice, but the entire team will come together Saturday. Can't wait to see the progress they make between now and the Michigan game Sept. 1st

I'm happy to be back. Roll Tide, y'all


No comments:

Post a Comment